COLDENHOFF SEVENTH AT MXGP OF CITTA DI MANTOVA
GASGAS FACTORY RACING ENJOY POSITIVE DAY AT MANTOVA AS STANDING CONSTRUCT’S MXGP CLASS LEADER FINISHES JUST SIX POINTS OFF OF THE PODIUM
GASGAS Factory Racing have recorded strong and consistent results across both classes at the MXGP of Citta di Mantova, round 10 of the 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship. Last weekend’s MXGP class runner-up Glenn Coldenhoff battled at the sharp end of the MXGP class in both races, claiming seventh overall following a 7-5 result. Teammate Ivo Monticelli enjoyed his own success in Mantova, claiming 13th overall after sickness and injuries had hampered his results in recent weeks. In the MX2 class, DIGA Procross Factory Juniors’ Isak Gifting pulled the opening-race holeshot and claimed an impressive eighth overall in just his second ever MX2 GP.
GASGAS Factory Racing claim solid points at second Mantova GP
Positive day for Standing Construct’s Monticelli on home soil
DIGA Procross’ MC 250F claims first ever MX2 class holeshot
Round 10 of the FIM Motocross World Championship was a positive one for Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing with Glenn Coldenhoff fairing best, recording a 7-5 result to finish seventh overall. Both motos saw the Dutchman involved in frantic, race-long battles inside the top 10, where the combination of a narrow Mantova circuit and the fact that his rivals were all running a very similar lap times resulted in him finishing seventh in race one and a determined fifth in race two.
The previously luckless Ivo Monticelli showed signs of bouncing back into form, posting a strong 14th in race one before improving one position to a well-earned 13th in race two. Ivo’s second moto performance came after he dusted himself off following an opening lap crash. Ending the day 13th overall gives the Italian a much-needed boost in confidence ahead of round 11.
In the MX2 class, Isak Gifting impressed again at Mantova. Claiming the DIGA Procross Factory Juniors first ever GP holeshot in race one, the young Swede made the best possible start to the event. Going on to lead for almost a lap on his MC 250F, he then frustratingly tipped over, nearly dropping outside of the top 20. Digging deep in just his second MXGP, he delivered a valiant effort to claim a 10th place finish.
Moto two saw race long progression from Isak. Charging through from a mid-pack start to claim an impressive eighth in the moto, he was rewarded with eighth overall. Teammate Michael Sandner scored further MX2 World Championship points with a 17th place finish in race one before finishing just outside of the point-scoring positions in moto two.
Glenn Coldenhoff: “I felt pretty good in training this morning. I managed to set the fourth fastest time in qualifying, so I was happy with that. First race my start was not that good, starting just outside the top 10. I took a while to get into a good rhythm and it’s not easy to pass on this track, so it took a long time to work my way forwards. Once I got in seventh position, the leaders were gone so I just rode my own race and I was happy with my speed. My second race start was a bit better, I think seventh. Straight from the beginning it was a big battle and we were all really close. We all had pretty much the same speed, but like the first race, it’s so hard to make passes. I felt like my riding was pretty good today and my starts needs to be better for me to get better results. We know what to work on and I really want more the coming weekend.”
Ivo Monticelli: “Finally, a good day’s racing for me! Race one was good, I was in 13th but a small crash meant I finished 14th but I was happy with that. At the start of race two there was a big crash and I was stuck under my bike. I got up and just charged and finished 13th which was an amazing result after being on the ground for so long. My lap times were good, top 10 speed so this gives me a lot of confidence ahead of Sunday. Despite the crashes I really enjoyed today, I felt great on the bike, my speed and fitness is good, so I look forward to Sunday and the rest of the season.”
Isak Gifting: “Today was a good day. I pulled the holeshot in race one so that was great and then I nearly led a lap before crashing. I think I was just a little nervous up front but to be up front is a great feeling. I then had to work my way up from around 17th and finished 10th so I was quite happy with that. I didn’t get such a great start in race two but worked my way up to an eighth-place finish so overall it was a great day. I fought hard in both motos and scored good points, so I look forward to Sunday.”
Michael Sandner: “It was a bit of a disappointing day for me. I struggled a little bit out there, but it is still only my second race for the DIGA Procross team. I’ll take some rest ahead of the next race on Sunday and look to improve my results.”
Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing and DIGA Procross Factory Juniors will next compete in the FIM Motocross World Championship at round 10 of the series on October 4, returning to the Mantova venue for the third and final time.
Download high-res images from round ten of the 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, the MXGP of Citta di Mantova, here.
Results – 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 10
MXGP – Overall
1. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 45; 2. Jorge Prado (KTM) 40; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 36… 7. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 30; 13. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 15
MXGP - Race 1
1. Jorge Prado (KTM) 17 laps, 35:13:182; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 35:14:334; 3. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 35:17:324… 7. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 35:46:943; 14. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 36:24:717
MXGP - Race 2
1. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 17 laps, 34:59:172; 2. Gautier Paulin (Yamaha) 35:00:839; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 35:03:052… 5. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 35:06:453; 13. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 35:54:883
MX2 – Overall
1. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 47; 2. Tom Vialle (KTM) 45; 3. Roan Van De Moosdijk (Kawasaki) 36… 8. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 24; 21. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 4
MX2 - Race 1
1. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 17 laps, 35:56:454; 2. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 35:57:944; 3. Tom Vialle (KTM) 35:59:733… 10. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:30:044; 17. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 37:14:916
MX2 - Race 2
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 35:28:261; 2. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 35:31:661; 3. Roan Van De Moosdijk (Kawasaki) 35:38:328… 8. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:18:652; 24. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 37:32:525
Championship Standings – After Round 10
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 352pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 347; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 344… 5. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 303; 18. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 82
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 431pts; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 385; 3. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 329… 21. Simon Langenfelder (GASGAS) 59; 28. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 47; 27. Jeremy Sydow (GASGAS) 35; 35. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 10
Previous Motocross Articles