Tomac Earns Big Triple Crown Win in Texas in 450SX Class
Sexton Nabs Round Two of Eastern Regional 250SX Class
Arlington, Texas, (February 23, 2020) The eighth round of the 2020 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship series was also round two of both the Monster Energy Triple Crown series-within-a-series and the Eastern Regional 250SX Championship. The event provided six great Races in front of 62,105 fans inside AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Eli Tomac brought his Monster Energy Kawasaki team its fourth win of 2020, the 31st of his career, in typical Tomac style - a dramatic charge through the pack when everything was on the line. The night didn''t start out great for Tomac, finishing only fifth in 450SX Race 1; that Race was won convincingly by Team Honda HRC''s Ken Roczen, netting his fourth straight Monster Energy Triple Crown Race win after sweeping the 2020 Glendale round.
Eli Tomac was on in Arlington. He stretches his points lead to seven with his fourth win of the season. Photo Credit: Feld Entertainment, Inc.
Tomac made his win in 450SX Race 2 look easy after nearly holeshotting behind Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM''s Blake Baggett then quickly pushing ahead and pulling out a comfortable lead. Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing''s Jason Anderson worked his way up from a seventh place start to earn second place, which put him in the event''s points lead by one over Tomac. 450SX Race 3 was a barn burner; Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing''s Zach Osborne grabbed the holeshot and led for seven laps with Anderson, Roczen, and Tomac all so close the four riders were all in the whoop section at the same time for a couple laps. Tomac clawed his way to the front on Lap 13 and pulled a small lead. Anderson crashed late, giving second overall to Roczen but still grabbing the third overall position for the night.
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Defending Champion Chase Sexton wanted to win early in his title defense; he did it at the second round. Photo Credit: Feld Entertainment, Inc.
The racing in the Eastern Regional 250SX Class was just as dramatic, with a great battle in 250SX Race 1 that saw Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing''s RJ Hampshire grab his first Supercross win. But it was the defending champion, GEICO Honda''s Chase Sexton, who took 250SX Race 2 then brought home the overall win with a second place in 250SX Race 3 behind last weekend''s winner, Monster Energy/Star Yamaha Racing''s Shane McElrath. The win ties Sexton and McElrath in championship points after two rounds.
The series heads to Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia next weekend.
450SX Class Results
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (5,1,1)
2. Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda (1,7,2)
3. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (3,2,5)
4. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (4,5,4)
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Husqvarna (7,4,3)
6. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Honda (6,3,8)
7. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda (8,6,9)
8. Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha (9,10,7)
9. Dean Wilson, Murrieta, Calif., Husqvarna (13,9,6)
10. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., KTM (10,8,13)
450SX Class Championship Standings
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (181)
2. Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda (174)
3. Cooper Webb, Clermont, Fla., KTM (155)
4. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (154)
5. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (139)
6. Adam Cianciarulo, New Smyrna Beach, Fla., Kawasaki (128)
7. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda (122)
8. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Honda (110)
9. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Husqvarna (105)
10. Justin Brayton, Charlotte, N.C., Honda (105)
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results
1. Chase Sexton, Clermont, Fla., Honda (2,1,2)
2. Shane McElrath, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (3,2,1)
3. RJ Hampshire, Minneola, Fla., Husqvarna (1,6,3)
4. Jeremy Martin, Rochester, Minn., Honda (5,3,4)
5. Garrett Marchbanks, Coalville, Utah, Kawasaki (6,4,5)
6. Joshua Hill, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha (9,7,6)
7. Joey Crown, Metamora, Mich., Yamaha (7,5,10)
8. Enzo Lopes, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha (8,8,7)
9. Jalek Swoll, Belleview, Fla., Husqvarna (10,12,9)
10. Jo Shimoda, Irvine, Calif., Honda (14,10,8)
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings
1. Chase Sexton, Clermont, Fla., Honda (49)
2. Shane McElrath, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (49)
3. Jeremy Martin, Rochester, Minn., Honda (40)
4. RJ Hampshire, Minneola, Fla., Husqvarna (38)
5. Garrett Marchbanks, Coalville, Utah, Kawasaki (37)
6. Joey Crown, Metamora, Mich., Yamaha (31)
7. Jordon Smith, Ochlocknee, Ga., Kawasaki (28)
8. Joshua Hill, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha (28)
9. Jo Shimoda, Irvine, Calif., Honda (26)
10. Enzo Lopes, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha (19)
For more information, visit SupercrossLIVE.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross, or follow via social channels:
• Facebook: facebook.com/supercrosslive
• Twitter: twitter.com/supercrosslive
• Instagram: instagram.com/supercrosslive
• YouTube: youtube.com/supercrosslive
Feld Entertainment, Inc. - Supercross Public Relations Manager
About Monster Energy Supercross:
Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, is the most competitive and highest-profile off-road motorcycle racing championship on the planet visiting 13 different states in 2020. Founded in America and sanctioned by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in 1974, Supercross is currently co-sanctioned by the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), the official global governing body for motorcycle racing, thus making it a formal World Championship. Over 17 weeks and a million-dollar All-Star Race, Supercross attracts some of the largest and most impressive crowds inside the most recognizable and prestigious stadiums in North America to race in front of nearly one million live fans and broadcast to millions more worldwide. For more information, visit SupercrossLIVE.com.
About Feld Entertainment, Inc.:
Feld Entertainment® is the worldwide leader in producing and presenting live touring family entertainment experiences that bring people together and uplift the human spirit. Properties include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, Disney On Ice, Disney Live!, Marvel Universe LIVE!, Sesame Street Live!, Jurassic World Live Tour and DreamWorks Trolls The Experience. Across the brand portfolio, Feld Entertainment has entertained millions of families in more than 75 countries and on six continents. Visit feldentertainment.com for more information.
About the American Motorcyclist Association:
Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world''s largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders'' interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit americanmotorcyclist.com.
Previous Motocross Articles