Reed extends championship lead with Redbud victory
Buchanan, Michigan - Australia’s Chad Reed has continued to dominate the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship, taking his fourth overall round victory at today’s sixth round of the series, the RedBud National.
Reed, who won the opening 30-minute moto and finished third in Moto 2, has extended his championship lead to sit 16 points clear of Ryan Villopoto in the standings.
Acknowledging he had work to do following last weekends event, the TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Ray Racing pilot said suspension had been a focus this weekend.
“We lost our way last weekend so we came into this round knowing we had to experiment a little bit,” Reed explained.
“This track is similar to Thunder Valley so it gave us a good opportunity to go back and see where we went wrong.
“In the first moto the bike was really good but I don’t think I could say I was 100% even thought it was good enough for the win,” he continued.
"I got a good start the second race and got into third. Dungey made some mistakes and I tried to get by, but then I made mistakes and Alessi passed me. At that point I knew I had to just settle down and be smart.
"Each time I went out on the track today, it was different. I learned a lot about my bike, and a lot about myself as a person and the decisions I need to make on race days,” Reed concluded
As the series hits the halfway mark Reed boasts some impressive statistics. The Australian has won 50% of the 450cc races contested, claimed four of the six overall round wins and has led the championship since the opening round.
The next event on the 2011 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross calendar is the Spring Creek National in Minnesota in a fortnights time.
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship 450 Class Results - RedBud National, Michigan
1. Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda (1-3)
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (2-2)
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (9-1)
4. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki (4-5)
5. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM (8-4)
6. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (5-7)
7. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (6-8)
8. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (3-13)
9. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda (12-6)
10. Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda (10-10)
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (after Rd 6 of 12):
1. Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda - 268
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki - 252
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki - 246
4. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki - 178
5. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha - 173
6. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda - 172
7. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM - 130
8. Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda - 119
9. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM - 115
10. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki - 112
Chad Reed and TwoTwo Motorsports are proudly supported by Bel-Ray, Honda Motorcycles, Shift, Etnies, Skull Candy, Alpinestars, Fox, Pro Circuit, Factory Effex, Showa, Dunlop, Renthal, DT1 Airfilters, D.I.D, Hinson Clutches, VP Race Fuels, Cycra, Matrix, Braking, LightSpeed, Talon and JStar Motors.
Previous Motocross Articles