Burkhart Wins Second AMA Supermoto of the Season
Carlson Wins Third of the Season, Pingree Claims First in Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah (June 23, 2007) - Graves Motorsports Yamaha''s Mark Burkhart won his second consecutive race after battling Troy Lee Designs Honda''s Jeff Ward in hot and dry conditions during the third round of AMA Supermoto Championship at Miller Motorsports Park. Rip It Energy Aprilia''s Ben Carlson captured his third straight main event win in AMA Supermoto Unlimited competition, while Troy Lee Designs Honda''s David Pingree triumphed to take his first main event win of the season in the Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites class.
Troy Lee Designs Honda''s Cassidy Anderson, of Provo, Utah, grabbed the holeshot and held the lead in the early stages of the AMA Supermoto main event. On the third lap, his foot peg scrapped the asphalt and caused him to slide out. Burkhart, of Pataskala, Ohio, worked his way to the lead and cruised to the win.
Troy Lee Designs Honda''s Jeff Ward, of Newport Beach, Calif., finished second while Chris Fillmore, of Oxford, Mich., placed his Monster Energy Kawasaki on the podium for the first time this season.
"The heat was killer out here today," said Burkhart. "I am lucky and glad that my tires were able to last all race. I really want that number one plate at the end of the year. I am one step closer to achieving my goal. Yamaha works so hard and I am glad everyone came out to support me, I hope I can keep things rolling going into Michigan in a couple weeks."
Carlson, of West Bend, Ind., kept his season winning streak alive with his third consecutive win of the seaosn in the M&R AMA Supermoto Unlimited class. HMC KTM''s Kurt Nicoll, of Temecula, Calif., made Carlson earn the victory, stalking Carlson the entire race before settling for a second place finish. BP Racing KTM rider Josh Chisum, of Bakersfield, Calif., battled through the pack to finish third.
"It is hot out here, it really takes your breath away, all you can suck in is dry air", said Carlson. "Three in a row is amazing, The season so far has just been unreal. I just want to thank the team and everyone involved".
Pingree, of Temecula, Calif., started on the pole for the Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites finale. Pingree grabbed the holeshot and lead all 12 laps en route to his first win of the season. Graves Motorsports Yamaha''s Brandon Currie, of Anaheim, Calif., placed second while Red Bull KTMs Josh Hansen, of Murrieta, Calif., was third.
"It''s great to finally win one of these races," said Pingree. "That win really takes a lot of weight off my shoulders, I feel great, now I can just keep going out and having fun. I was able to just inch away this weekend. It''s a great feeling."
AMA Supermoto Race Results
1. Mark Burkhart, Pataskala, Ohio, Graves Motorsports Yamaha
2. Jeff Ward, Newport Beach, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda
3. Chris Fillmore, Oxford, Mich., Monster Energy Kawasaki
4. Micky Dymond, Placentia, Calif., All Access Honda
5. Cassidy Anderson, Provo, Utah, Troy Lee Designs Honda
6. Steve Drew, Buckeye, Ariz., Mach 1 Yamaha
7. Ben Carlson, West Bend, Wis., Rip It Energy Aprilia
8. Troy Herfoss, Australia, HMC KTM
9. Jason Conlon, Mount Airy, Md., Fredericktown Yamaha
10. Kiyoshi Saai, Japan, Hamamatsu Factory Honda
AMA Supermoto Point Standings
1. Jeff Ward, Newport Beach, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda, 69
2. Mark Burkhart, Pataskala, Ohio, Graves Motorsports Yamaha, 68
3. Micky Dymond, Placentia, Calif., All Access Honda, 50
4. Chris Fillmore, Oxford, Mich., Monster Energy Kawasaki, 46
5. Troy Herfoss, Australia, HMC KTM, 45
6. Steve Drew, Buckeye, Ariz., Mach 1 Yamaha, 44
7. Ben Carlson, West Bend, Wis., Rip It Energy Aprilia, 40
8. Cassidy Anderson, Provo, Utah, Troy Lee Designs Honda, 36
9. Jason Conlon, Mount Airy, Md., Fredericktown Yamaha, 36
10. David Baffeleuf, France, LA Fuel Husqvarna, 24
M&R AMA Supermoto Unlimited Race Results
1. Ben Car
Previous Motocross Articles